Sunday, May 27, 2007

Anniversary Forgotten

I was reading through chapter 3 (Finding Cindy’s Body) of my book, checking for an error before the formatting/layout is complete, and realized it has been eighteen years since Cindy’s death. When I glanced at the calendar I realized today is the 27th, and she had disappeared on the 25th of May in 1989. I was shocked to realize this is the first year since her disappearance that I have not been conscious of the date in relation to Cindy’s tragedy.

What was I doing two days ago that it had slipped my mind?

I had been fully engaged in living…had my hair cut…took my child to REP soccer practice…watched, along with my family, the spectacular fireworks that signaled the start of the yearly local festivities of May Days…and never realized Cindy had disappeared eighteen years ago.

Now it feels like those bursts of color in the air last Friday signaled a more significant event for me.

And I have tears in my eyes.

Melanie Hack
Author of Who Killed My Sister, My Friend
The unsolved mystery of the death of Cindy James

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Gabby said...

Dear Melanie,

I have been reading through your blog after finding out about your book via a link on thoughtcatalog.com entitled 'The Top 10 Most Compelling Unsolved Mysteries'.

I am so sorry for your tragedy and the deep loss you have felt and suffered over the years. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to get through the day, not only for you but even so for your beloved sister. It is heartbreaking to know that Cindy was harassed, stalked and violated and had no one to believe her during that time. The story is made even sadder when you arrive at the end and Cindy was granted no justice. I am so sorry for your loss Melanie. I may be a stranger, but when it comes to loss, we all as human beings can relate as we feel similar emotions and encounter similar pains and difficulties in life.

My thoughts are with you and your family and i'm glad that Cindy is finally able to rest in peace in heaven.

Thank you for sharing this part of you with us here on the net. I hope that you find some closure in remembering Cindy and helping others cope with their life problems.

Take care Melanie. Your angel is watching over you and your family from above..

Best wishes,
Gabby

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home